Saturday, October 15, 2005

I'm a bitch.

I've been thinking lately about the word bitch. It's a word that has been used to describe most girls (women, ladies, whatever) in the world. Personally, I've been called it an obscene amount of times. It's weird because men can also be called bitches but the meaning for a man is the complete opposite of a woman. A woman who is a bitch (according to the dictionary) is:

-A woman considered to be spiteful or overbearing.
-A lewd woman.


However, for a man to be a bitch he must be:

-A man considered to be weak or contemptible.

So, a weak man is just an overbearing woman? I don't know what the point of me writing this is, I just wanted to clear my head of it. I just don't get it. How do words become bad and offensive? What exactly makes shit, fuck, bitch, etc. so bad? Why these words? How did the word for a female dog become the insult people use against one another?

I'm sure more than half the people who are called a bitch are neither weak or lewd or overbearing. I know a lot of times it just happens because a woman is honest or displays traits that would be perfectly acceptable for a man to have. Is that really a bad way for us to be? It's unfortunate now because you have to preface statements with "I don't mean to be a bitch, but..." just to protect yourself from getting this horrible reputation as a bitch and even then, that doesn't really work. People are going to say what they want regardless, you just have to come to terms with it, I guess. Or just quit speaking.

This post was brought to you by the letter T and by readers like you.

No comments:

blogger counter

This blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.